“When I pitched the gig I described it as a chance to ‘play cat’s cradle with Time.’ I hope you enjoy the game as much as we did.”
—from the Introduction
This Twisted Earth is the latest book from Dion Winton-Polak, the editor and anthologist behind Sunny, with a Chance of Zombies. Here, he theorized a version of our planet in which a strange cataclysm has left time itself in a tangle. This is a sandpit universe; in which the authors were encouraged to unleash their wildest dreams to create pulpy stories of danger, adventure, and dread-filled discovery.
This Twisted Earth contains 12 stories, and a further 12 creative fragments, including…
- Stagecoach Mary and the Ride over the Mountains – a Western tale, pitting folk-hero Mary Fields against a pack of prehistoric predators.
- Dead Horse Walking – a Mayan-noir detective story, digging into the mysteries of the world.
- The Man who would be King of the Monsters – a sly spin on the Kipling yarn – featuring colossal monsters. Naturally.
- Little Boy – a samurai leads an old woman through a death-haunted domain to find her missing son.
- The Electric Eye of the Silver God – a rag-tag group of adventurers defy a horde of degenerates in order to claim one final, glittering prize.
Whilst the concept was originated by Dion Winton-Polak, the authors collaborated and brainstormed together to make this a truly shared world. The individual stories stand alone, but little details draw them together, and additional material by Dion is used to both strengthen this cohesion and plant seeds for future volumes.
The paperback edition of This Twisted Earth will be launched at FantasyCon by the Sea in Scarborough on 24th September, 2016. The editor and several authors will be available to answer questions and to sign copies of the book. There will also be an extremely limited run of hardback copies, available to purchase on the day.
The authors are multiple-award nominated author Adrian Tchaikovsky, author, comic scriptwriter, and editor Mike Chinn, author and academic librarian Jess Nevins, and widely published author Phil Sloman, along with Andrew Coulthard, Dave de Burgh, Drew Bassett, Hereward Proops, Jacob Prytherch, Keith Coleman, Matt Lewis, and Piotr Świetlik.
This Twisted Earth will be available from October 1st from 6ixminutes.co.uk
“Something about the forest made her brain itch. Diagonally across the middle of England, from Bristol up to Hull, were a series of craters that looked alarmingly like footprints. Anglesey, for some reason, glowed. Much of Scotland was covered by a glacier. Across the Channel, in the place of France, was some kind of black smudge. Most of it was off the bottom of the screen but the smudge looked, even from space, like it was… writhing.”
“The Ghost in Michelle”