March is Small Press Month! Why is this important? Because small presses are awesome, and let me tell you why…
Us Brits love an underdog; there’s something very romantic and fulfilling about cheering on the small fish racing along beside the sharks. We love it!
Plus, it’s really important to support local, independent businesses, because you’re not just re-lining shareholders’ pockets. You’re helping someone pay their rent, or buy food, or pay for childcare. You’re not contributing to their fifth yacht. (Well, you might be.)
And they notice every single sale. Every single review. And they do a little happy dance (trust me, they do.) Your money is noticed, and appreciated in a way it isn’t with a big business.
And it also gives you choice, and variety. Do you want to live in a world where just a few companies own everything?
And the wonderful thing about small presses in particular, is that they don’t tend to choose authors and books based solely on their commercial merit. They choose authors and books that they love, that they feel passionate about, that they see potential in. They publish books that are different, unique, a risk, even. They don’t roll-out cookie-cutter stories based on the latest trends. They publish books they truly love, and books they know you’ll love too.
So, what can I do to show my support?
How to support small presses by spending money:
- Buy their books
- Read their books
- Review their books (this is really important!)
- Recommend those books to your friends
- Buy their books as gifts for your friends and family
- Buy them a coffee if you see them at an event
How to support small presses without spending money:
- Follow them on social media
- Share, like, and comment on their posts
- Recommend them to your friends
- Borrow their books from friends/libraries
- Review their books (again, really important!)
- Chat to them if you see them at an event (make them look popular, but move aside for new customers!)
- Give them a hug (maybe ask first)
And if you’re an author:
- Pitch your next book to them
- Suggest them as a publishing option to your author friends
Small Press Shout Out!
Here’s some of my small press friends to get started with, feel free to link to more small presses in the comments…
Sinister Horror Company
The Sinister Horror Company has a simple mission: to write, publish and launch innovative and exciting genre fiction.
Fox Spirit believes that day to day life lacks a few things. We need the fantastic, the magical, the mischievous and even a touch of the horrific to stave off the banal and humdrum. Let the skulk bring you stories full of wonder and mischief delivered with a sharp bite.
Black Shuck Books
Whether novels, novellas, collections or anthologies, Black Shuck is committed to producing and publishing the best in modern and classic horror.